Wednesday, September 8, 2010


It's been a bit of a tough week, but nothing really cancer related so I guess it hasn't been all that bad.  My time between chemo and radiation were supposed to be my good weeks, my recovery weeks, but I should know better.  Isn't there some phrase like "we plan and God laughs"?  So my chest cold has turned into some sinus infection that has pulled a muscle under my left tissue expander from coughing so much.  I did see my general practitioner's PA today who gave me a Z-pack of antibiotics, thank goodness, I can feel them working already.  Of course I called my oncologist first because I was freaking out that my cancer spread to my lungs because I was coughing so much (breast cancer most often spreads to the bones, liver, brain and lungs).  Sandy, who answers the doctor's phones, said to me "It's not cancer, it's a cold.  Call your primary care physician."  Oh, right.  Sorry.

Nick now has the same creeping crud cold, and poor Jenny-Jane, the tiny soul, she is the worst of us all.  Her bad cold turned into fevers, which turned into ulcers in her mouth.  She can't sleep or eat and it's been over a week now.  Doctors assure me that it's just a virus and we need to keep her comfortable until it passes.  She wakes up several times a night saying "Mommy, owee!"  It breaks my heart and my sleep pattern.  I'm a tad zombie like, but like Sandy says, it's not cancer, so I can deal.  

Somehow Fisher has managed to escape all germs thus far, but this is his first week back at school.  He's now in Pre-K.  He'll have the "green elevens" soon enough.  That's Grandpa Larry's term for kids with two runny nostrils, gross but accurate, yes?  Oh, and poor black cat Felix, the newest member of our pet family, walked in the door tonight with some serious road rash.  It looks like he was scalped on the side of his flabby torso and had big hunks of gravel stuck in his belly fur.  Um, run over?  Who knows, but Nick treated him with is ancient Chinese secret, hydrogen peroxide, and we are hoping for the best.

I called the radiologist office in a huff yesterday wondering what is taking so long with the start of my treatment.  The somewhat annoyed nurse explained that its a LOT of work to figure out each person's radiation prescription and if I want it done right, I have to wait 7-10 days after my first simulation (which was last Wednesday).  Then I come in for a final go through on the big machine, and then I can start my daily treatments.  I'm still hoping that we can begin radiation next week.  The sooner I start, the sooner I can be done.  

Re-reading this post, I seem to be a tad surly, sorry.  Nick and I have been a bit tense with a sick babe and being sick ourselves.  We did manage a nice dinner date before Fisher's preschool orientation this evening, so I think civility is on the upswing.  I still feel a bit annoyed that I missed my window of health this week and last, but really, that's ok.  I'm all about big picture now, or at least I'm trying.  I've got dozens of years of feeling good ahead of me.

Love to all,

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristin, it is wonderful that you write these stories because when you look back at it years from now you are going to wonder how you did it. So glad that you can be a mentoring help to Gabby? You are right it is what you can do for her and while you are doing that you are moving closer and closer to the finish line!...praying that you are well over your nasty cold and the coughing. Hugs and Blessings, from Deborah in the Poconos